WHAT IS IT?
SEO is a process used to positively affect a website's visibility with search engines. It is recognized that the earlier a site appears on a search engine search, the more visitors it will receive, which is of course the goal of any website.
SEO takes into account what people search for, how the search engines operate, and which search terms and keywords will benefit the search optimization. Depending on the goal, SEO may target image searches, local searches, video searches, or academic searches.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ORGANIC AND PAID LISTINGS?
Keeping in mind that the earlier a site appears on the search engine, the more views that site will receive, most often paid listings will appear at the top of the search page. Obviously, this is an advantage, but it is also an expensive means of advertising your site. Often these paid listings are on a "highest bidder" basis, meaning only the top two or three bids will appear at the top of the first page of listings. For small to medium companies, this expense can be prohibitive.
Organic listings are those that are not paid for; they appear in an order determined by the search engine criteria, which is based on a number of algorithms. The more criteria that your website meets, the higher your search engine rankings will be.
This, of course, leads to a debate of which is best, organic, or paid? The major detriment of paid listings is the prohibitive cost. It can often reach several hundred dollars per day, and few companies can afford that sort of marketing expense. Secondly, studies are now showing that much more weight is being given to relevant content and quality results, and that sites will not experience full benefits unless their site pays attention to the search engine algorithms.
BLACK HAT VS WHITE HAT
When applied to SEO techniques, the debate over black hat vs white hat refers to acceptable vs questionable.
White hat techniques adhere to the search engine guidelines, which are fairly strict to avoid increasing spamming in the industry. Black hat techniques often involved hidden text or a practice called cloaking, which is the substitution of another page depending on who is doing the search.
Black hat techniques are most often used by companies that believe their website will be banned shortly because they do not follow guidelines, so they attempt to steer as many viewings as possible to their site in a short amount of time.
To be effective, a SEO campaign must be individually designed with a specific client in mind. All businesses are not the same, and that truth is behind the implementation of different campaign strategies depending on the business being served.
Different SEO strategies may include:
• Keywords and key terms
• Updating content to keep pace with search engine guidelines
• Using properly designed meta tags
• Using proper and search engine friendly titles
• Press releases
• SEO copywriting
• The proper use of photos and videos
The importance of the internet in today's business world cannot be understated. Learning to work with the search engines will improve your company's chances in this new business arena, and SEO is the tool that will enhance your chances for success.
WordPress is one of the leading content management systems currently in use. Its popularity is due to a number of features that provide great benefits to the user.
FEATURES OF WORDPRESS
Website users always look for a content management system (CMS) that is easy to use, and few, if any, are as easy to use in their applications as WordPress. Some of the features offered by WordPress are:
• Themes: users have a variety of themes to choose from, and they may switch themes whenever they like. This, of course, means that the user can change the look and functions of the website without changing the content or structure.
• Plugins: WordPress has over 18,000 plugins available to users, which of course means rich opportunities for users to extend the capabilities of the website.
• Widgets: Drag-and-drop sidebars and modules that make the website more functional.
• Multi-user and multi-blogging: the newest feature of WordPress, this means that a user can operate several blogs from the one website, and moderate all the blogs from a single dashboard, or administrative site. Ease of use....that's what WordPress is all about.
• Mobiles: Applications such as WebOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, and Blackberry, can all be used through the WordPress administrative panel.
• Additional features include: integrated link management, user-friendly permalink structure, multiple categories to articles, and automatic filters.
In addition, these other great benefits and features are available to all WordPress users:
• Full standards compliance (updated continually)
• No rebuilding (changes are made automatically without starting all over)
• WordPress Links
• WordPress Themes
• Cross-blog communication tools
• Comment section (easy to use by all visitors)
• Spam protection
• Password protected posts
• Easy installation and upgrades
• Intelligent text formatting
• Typographical niceties
• Easy importing
• EML-RPC Interface
• Ping-o-Matic exposure
• Full-user registration to allow comments on website
And the list goes on and on. Bottom line is this: website managers and users want ease of use. They want as many capabilities as possible, and they want to use those capabilities without having a Masters in Computer Science. WordPress offers those capabilities in a user-friendly format that will appeal to the novice as well as the experienced website manager.
In the world of website construction and management, is it any wonder so many users turn to WordPress for all of their website needs?]]>
So you now have your website, and you are ready for business. The website is perfectly designed, the information has been logically stated, and all you have to do now is sit back and wait for the internet traffic to knock at your door.
However, many business owners wait, and wait, and still no traffic comes their way. What is the problem?
Most likely the problem is in a lack of purposeful SEO copywriting, without which you, the business owner, are in for a very long wait for that traffic.
WHAT IS SEO COPYWRITING?
In simplest terms, SEO Copywriting, or Search Engine Copywriting, is a writing of text that not only draws the web surfer to your site, but also uses high-ranking search terms so that your site will rank high with search engines.
This process not only includes the text itself, but also a correctly written title, meta description, keywords, tags, sub-headings and alt text.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
The world of information is rapidly changing, and the number one instrument of that change is the computer. No one uses a telephone book any longer; few use an encyclopedia or dictionary any longer. Information is king and a large percentage of information is attained on the web.
If a prospective customer does a web search for a term related to your business, it is obviously to your advantage that the search leads to your website. If a person in need of dog-grooming does a search of those words, and you are a dog groomer, you would want your business to appear on the first page of that search. SEO Copywriting achieves that goal.
A MIXTURE OF TECHNIQUES
As stated earlier, the goal of SEO Copywriting is to bring web searchers to your website, and this is achieved by a number of strategies. This is not just about key terms. Using proper headings and subheadings is important. The use of lists and bullet points are attractive to the average reader, as are applicable photos. In other words, it is not enough to have your website appear on the search engine's first page; the website page must also be done well enough so that the searcher will be willing to stay and gather information from it. The searcher must be instantly attracted to the page and interested enough to continue reading once they are at the page.
If all aspects of SEO Copywriting are done properly, the business owner will have a very short wait for the web traffic that will drive sales and bring about success.]]>
Choosing the correct content management system is a crucial step in developing your website. Yes, there are many to choose from, but only one CMS offers as much as Joomla CMS.
What makes Joomla the number one CMS is its wide array of features, and all features are customer-friendly. In the world of technology, customer-friendly are catch-words that are so very important. Let's take a look at a few of the features that make Joomla the go-to content management system.
• Easy updates on a click: There is nothing complicated about Joomla. In fact, it was designed with the customer in mind, the average customer who has a minimum of tech knowledge. With easy-to-use instructions, updating your site is as simple as a single click of your mouse. At the same time, Joomla is so very easy for web developers to use. It truly is the CMS that appeals to customers and web developers as well.
• Smart search: Joomla has been designed so that any search is a streamlined search that goes right to the information that is needed.
• Customized templates: You can choose to design your own template or use the templates already offered on Joomla. The ones offered are numerous and include the best in readability and ease of handling.
• Easy navigation: Most people will tell you, and studies have shown, that the number one concern for anyone on a website is the ease of navigation. Time is short and people are in a hurry in today's world. The last thing needed is confusion while trying to steer a course on a website. Joomla makes it oh so simple!
• Plenty of plug-ins: No matter what it is you want to add to your Joomla site, you have that capability with a wide-array of available plug-ins.
• SEO friendly: Yes, SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, is so very important, and Joomla sites are designed to make the most of optimal keywords so that search engines will recognize your input.
• Back-end maintenance: On Joomla, maintenance is as easy as opening the administrative window and following simple instructions.
• Multiple database support: Joomla has been designed so that it can be operated on multiple database systems, making it the CMS most adaptable to any system.
In the business world, the website is king! No other technological advancement has produced the instant results that a well-designed website can produce. With that in mind, don't you think it best to use the number one content management system? If you answered yes to that question, then Joomla CMS is the only choice!]]>
As a business owner, your primary concern is obviously how to increase business. There are literally hundreds of different marketing strategies, from fliers to billboards, media advertising to free demonstrations, and the task of any business manager is to find just the right strategy for their business, the right strategy that will deliver maximum sales for minimum expenditure.
We believe that press releases are one of the most effective marketing strategies available, and they are applicable to practically any business, from salvage yards to restaurants, from retail clothing stores to manufacturing companies.
The reasons for this belief are many and we have listed below just a few for your consideration.
• Inexpensive cost: Consider the cost of advertising on television or radio; most often this type of advertising is simply too costly for the average business. However, a properly prepared press release can reach literally hundreds of news outlets and be seen by hundreds of thousands of prospective clients or buyers.
• SEO Benefits: When we prepare a press release for your business, we add the linking and keywords so that you receive the maximum online bang-for-your-buck. Each press release expands your online visibility and increases your SEO score with the search engines.
• Boost Visibility: One goal of a press release is to get your business name out among possible clients. The more your business name is seen, the better the chance that your business will be remembered by the buying public.
• Raises Your Reputation: The more you are seen online, the more you will be recognized as an expert in your field. Clients want to put their trust in the best, and press releases serve to flood the market with your name, a leading expert in your field, and a business to trust.
• Pinpoint A Specific Market: We can control where the message is sent. We can target news outlets in a particular city, state, or region, thus increasing your visibility in those areas.
When you consider all of the benefits, it becomes obvious that a press release is one of the most target-effective and cost-effective means of advertising your business. Each press release is specifically tailored for your business. Each press release is specifically tailored for your customers. Each press release is professionally crafted so that your business receives maximum benefits for the least amount of money, and in the business world, that is a winning combination.]]>
WHAT IS IT?
Technology is changing so quickly. What was once considered good management techniques are quickly outdated, and nowhere is that more true than in Search Engine Optimization. Once it was enough to insert some keywords into your text and feel fairly safe that those keywords would drive traffic to your site.
Now, however, with so many algorithms affecting the search engines, it is necessary to do research to determine which keywords will have the most beneficial effect. Keyword Research is the practice of SEO professionals to find search terms used by people when they are doing searches on Google and other search engine sites.
WHY IT IS IMPORTANT?
Thinking logically for a moment, it does no good if you are using keywords that do not drive traffic to your site. The goal of keyword research is to determine which keywords are actually being looked for by the people you want visiting your site. It is the difference, in many cases, between success and failure of your site, and for a business, that truly is the bottom line.
Now we begin to delve into the nuts and bolts of keyword research. Researchers not only need to know which keywords are being sought, but they also need to know the semantics, or meaning, behind the keywords. In other words, researchers need to know what users mean when they do a search for a particular keyword.
For instance, if someone types in the keyword “kitchen” do they mean:
True, in most searches, people use a combination of keywords, but even then Google has to make an “educated guess” regarding what the user is looking for.
Keyword Research takes a close look at these keywords and phrases and tries to find clues that will unlock the perfect keyword or keywords for a particular business.
COMMON MISTAKES TO AVOID
The following are some of the common mistakes made in keyword research:
WHAT IS IT?
How does an individual or company reach internet users? How is that gap bridged? It is bridged by a web hosting company. Just as a car transmission takes the power of the engine and sends it to the wheels for forward motion, so too does a web hosting company take a personal or business webpage and send it to the internet so it is accessible to all internet users.
WHAT FEATURES SHOULD YOU LOOK FOR?
There are quite a few web hosting companies available; with that in mind, what should you look for?
• What is its industry rating?
• How quickly can you get phone support when problems arise?
• How much disk space is available?
• What is the bandwidth?
• Are free domains included?
• How many domains are allowed?
• Is there a money back guarantee?
• What is the set up fee?
WHAT IS DISK SPACE?
Disk space refers to the amount of hard disk space you are given by your web hosting provider. Think in terms of your website. All of the text, pictures, videos, etc. take up space, and it is obviously important that all of that space is provided under the contract with your web host.
Remember, too, that you will be adding on to your site in the future, so that needs to be accounted for as well. You can get an approximation of the amount of disk space simply by loading all of your website documents on your own disk. Windows provides that information simply by going to your disk and right-clicking; under "properties" you will find the space that is being used. It will be the same for a web host site.
WHAT IS BANDWIDTH?
Bandwidth is a measure of the amount of data that can be downloaded by potential customers from your website. Obviously, the more traffic you get, the more bandwidth you will need, and if you are successful you certainly do not want to be limited in bandwidth.
A simple rule: the more bandwidth that your web hosting service will give you, the better, and unlimited is the ultimate goal.
WHAT DOES SAFE HARBOR MEAN?
Safe Harbor is a framework developed by the U.S. Department of Commerce that insures that your data is protected in non-European countries. It makes sure that your data is secure and safe. Always make sure, when choosing a web hosting service, that they are in compliance with the Safe Harbor regulations.
WHAT DOES PCI COMPLIANT MEAN?
Again, this is a matter of protection. When receiving credit card payments, or making credit card payments online, protection is the name of the game. A good web hosting company will meet the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards, thus insuring your safety regarding financial transactions.
Yes, there are a great number of considerations when choosing a web hosting company, but choose wisely. The future of your company depends on these considerations.
For any business, email communication is crucial in today's business world. Fast, reliable, glitch-free email is the goal of any company that provides email hosting because let's face it, communication efficiency can make or break a business.
Email hosting basically means that your provider offers email services to your company. Just as companies like Yahoo offer the basic email hosting for free, with limited options, some companies offer a more personalized and efficient email hosting that has more options available.
Imagine a nightmare scenario. Your company lives and breathes with your email. You do hundreds of thousands of dollars in business with email generated sales, and suddenly there is a glitch in the program. Your email inquiries do not arrive, your orders do not arrive, and your company is at a stand-still until the glitch can be solves. Unfortunately, the email hosting went down on a Sunday and you can't find tech support. What do you do?
Well, what you do is lose money! That's why choosing an efficient email hosting company is vital.
So, what should you look for in your email hosting provider?
WHAT TO LOOK FOR
• Competitive pricing: there are countless providers of email hosting, and when supply of a service is up, price is down. Shop around for the best package at the best price.
• 24/7 technical support: there is nothing worse for a company than not being able to communicate with the rest of the business world. Make sure there are technicians available around the clock, and make sure their response time is fast.
• Safe, secure, and spam free: within most companies, the main source of communication is via email, and that includes sensitive subject matter that you do not want shared with the rest of the world. Your email host should be able to guarantee the safety of your information and communication.
• Email archival: in today's world of lawsuits and IRS inquiries, it is vital that you be able to find past correspondence at the click of the mouse. Good email hosting insures that all of your emails are a click away so that whenever you need them you can have them instantly.
SHOP AROUND AND MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION
Remember, there are a great number of companies that provide email hosting, and also remember that this is a crucial decision for your business. Be diligent as you shop around; compare, ask questions, and make sure your final decision is information-based.
Windows and Linux refer to different types of operating systems. The most popular operating system for web servers is Linux. Due to it's popularity, there are more features for websites. Windows servers are used when you have specific Window applications that you need. Another difference is that file names are case sensitive on Linux servers and are not on Windows servers.
Below is a list of Windows applications that require a Windows server:
Below is a list of applications that require a Linux server:
One of the most important business decisions you will ever make should also be one of the first decisions you make. Specifically, we are talking about choosing the domain name for your business.
Consider that the first thing a potential client is going to see....the first representation of your business....is the domain name. First impressions are always powerful, and for a business owner, the first impression given by the domain name is crucial and might mean the difference between success and failure on your website.
There are several considerations when choosing a domain name; what follows are six of the more important to consider.
1. Including keywords of your business in the url. Today, SEO rules the internet, so make sure your domain name is search-engine friendly by including keywords in the name. If you are a dog food retail store, there is a huge difference between www.doggiefood.com and www.doggie.com. The keywords dog and food might be the difference in many future sales.
2. In most cases, it is suggested that you try to get your company name in the url. This poses an interesting problem of which comes first, the company name or assuring you can get the company name in the url? It is suggested that you check available urls before settling on a company name if at all possible.
3. Keep the domain name short. www.annandelainesdogfoodemporium.com may say exactly what the business is, but for a customer with a short attention span it probably says far too much.
4. Include the meaning of the business in the domain name. This should be self-explanatory but it is amazing how many business owners ignore it. www.billsshop.com tells prospective customers absolutely nothing of value.
5. Consider alternative extensions. If you are strongly set on a particular business name, but it has already been taken with .com as the extension, then consider an alternative. Instead of www.doggiefood.com you might consider www.doggiefood.fortworth.
6. Always check your competition. See what works for your competitors, and consider that before committing to your domain name. There is no reason to re-invent the wheel if a particular idea is working quite well in the marketplace.
These are just a few of the suggestions as you begin to consider one of the most important business decisions you will make. Remember that many things can be changed about your business, but once that url has been decided upon, you cannot change it. That fact alone should encourage you to take your time and make sure that this decision is the right one.]]>